Danielou

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at uclink.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 31 20:17:58 UTC 1997

At 02:06 PM 3/31/97 BST, Lars Martin Fosse wrote:

>With all due respect, Dominique, I don't think that Jacob's question is
>xenophobic! There are a lot of scholars out there, some of whom have
>produced more valuable work than others. I, too, sometimes ask colleagues if
>this or that scholar is worth my time, and I am interested in the personal
>qualities of the individual scholar. I may ask the same question about
>English, German or American scholars, or for that matter about scholars of
>any nationality.

Also with due respect, I would like to point out that, as the biographical
notes reproduced by Dominique show (which don't mention that he put together
recordings for UNESCO), Danielou was mainly an expert on Indian music.

Best,

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies
University of California, Berkeley