european musical instruments in India

Das Menon dmenon at pacific.net.sg
Fri Mar 28 02:57:04 UTC 1997

In an earlier posting Max Langley referred to the scratchiness of the bowing
of Indian violinists.

Perhaps he should listen to  a virtuoso like Kunnakudi Vaidanathan who has
demonstrated the full extend of the capability of the Violin in Indian music.
Many purists (all?) would object to Mr. Vaidanathan's style of playing. I
have watched a couple of his live performances and has listened to a
number of his recordings, and I have not noticed any scratchiness in his
bowing, even at his highest speed of playing. I am sure that even the best
western violinist will be hard pressed to play the violin without scratchiness
at the speed with which Mr. Vaidanathan plays.

What I wish to point out is that it is certainly possible to play the violin in
the style of the Carnatic music without any scratchiness. I mentioned Mr.
Vaidanathan, because he is well known, I have watched a number of other
men and women musicians (from age 15 to 73) who plays without any
scratchiness.

Regards...Das