european musical instruments in India

Max Langley mlangley at brinet.com
Thu Mar 27 20:21:19 UTC 1997

It was the structural innovations by Tourte and the Piccatte brothers in
the late 18th and early 19th centuries that allowed much of the vast
expansion possible by Niccolo Paganini of Genoa in the 19th century, and
his musical heirs. Indian music, Carnatic or Hindustani, does not at
present employ any of those technical possibilities--such as sautille,
saltando, rochet, etc.--now standard in modern Western violin-playing.
Moreover, because Indian music does not vertically built its musical
lines, the harmonic possibilities of the violin's longer fingerboard and
curved bridge [another innovation] are not necessary. In terms of
technical recquirements, violin [viola, cello] music in India resembles
that of the Italian baroque music. And a shorter neck and fingerboard are
sufficient for those requirements.

Two families of instruments competed for primacy: the viol family [frets,
flat backs, less volume] and the violin family [gamba]. The latter won
out, and of course the fiddle belongs to the latter. All Indian music is
based on vocal. For that reason, the unvocal sound of many Indian players
seems uncharacteristic of the vocal tradition.

Max Langley
----------
> From: Jacob Baltuch <jacob.baltuch at infoboard.be>
> To: Members of the list <indology at liverpool.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: european musical instruments in India
> Date: Thursday, March 27, 1997 2:48 PM
>
> >On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Jacob Baltuch wrote:
> >
> >[..]
> >

> >> Re: early (1800s) violin "technology" found in Carnatic violin. Is
the
> >> bow different from the usual bow? Bow type changed radically in
Europe