european musical instruments in India

bpj at netg.se bpj at netg.se
Wed Mar 26 21:21:26 UTC 1997

I'm not a musician. I just wish to point out that a lot of European "folk"
violinists rest the violin against the chest rather than against the
shoulder. It may be because it makes it possible to sing while playing, but
basically I think this is just random cultural differences. I have a hard
time seeing the point in debating the "correctness" of different
traditions, be it their way of holding their instruments, their "sound", or
whatever. IMO this thread suffers from some cultural prejudice: does anyone
want to produce an "explanation" why Devnagri is written with a nib that is
cut "backwards" as compared to most other scripts (Roman, Arabic, Hebrew
and even Tibetan)? Barring the unlikely possibility that at some point in
time most Hindu scribes were lefties, and thus wrote Devnagri with a
straight nib, it is just a question of aesthetical preferences, et de
gustibus non est disputandum.

(And yes, although not a musician I dabble as a leftie calligrapher :-)