announcing a new book: SAMSK.RTASUBODHINII : A SANSKRIT PRIMER

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Mar 20 15:56:51 UTC 1997

Dear Colleagues,

	I am pleased to announce the publication of my new book

	SAMSK.RTASUBODHINII : A SANSKRIT PRIMER.

	This book is now published as volume 47 of Michigan Papers on
South and Southeast Asia by the Center for South and Southeast Asian
Studies, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA.
Copies will be available approximately in three weeks both in paperback
($26.00) and hard-cover ($48.00) versions.  For details on how to order,
please contact Mr. Les Adler at:

	Tel:  313/764-0352, 763-5408
	E-mail:  CSSEAS at umich.edu
	FAX:  313/936-0996

	The book is about 500 pages in length.  It is designed as an
introductory language-learning book, rather than as a reference grammar,
or as a book to introduce someone to IE or Paninian linguistics, religion,
Yoga or mysticism.  After a short introduction to the history and
structure of the language, the book extensively covers the grammar of
Classical Sanskrit in 44 lessons, each with ample exercises of various
kinds.  These lessons are then followed by 10 reading materials (including
stories and Subhaa.sitas).  This is followed by Sanskrit-English and
English-Sanskrit glossaries.
	I began working on this book in 1976 and about 20 generations of
my students have gone through successively revised versions of it.  During
the last few years, the book was also used as a photocopied coursepack in
a number of universities, and I received valuable suggestions for
modifications.  The book as it is now published supersedes all prior
photocopied versions which are in circulation.  I REQUEST ALL THOSE
COLLEAGUES WHO HAVE USED PREVIOUS VERSIONS NOT TO USE THEM ANY FURTHER AND
MAKE NO FURTHER PHOTOCOPIES OF THE OLDER VERSIONS.  THE COPYRIGHT FOR THE
BOOK NOW RESTS WITH THE PUBLISHER and making photocopies is no longer a
permissible option.
	With best wishes,
				MADHAV DESHPANDE