nak.satras/dating

Edwin F Bryant efb3 at columbia.edu
Tue Mar 18 22:43:26 UTC 1997

The least convincing part of Tilak's attempt (in addition to some of his
astronomical interpretations of comparative IE mythology) was his attempt
to correlate the ayanas with the equinoxes on the basis of a solitary
verse from the Satapatha Braahma.na--he connects the ayanas with the
deva/pit.ryaanas, and quotes the verse which states that vasanta, grishma
and varsha are seasons of the deva, and sharad, hemanta and shishira those
of the pit.rs.  This gave him reason to propose that the ayanas were
associated with the equinoxes in the .Rg period, but were transferred to
the solstices by the time of the jyoti.sa vedaa.nga.  As you say, this is
not supported by later tradition, and is the least plausible part of his
speculations.  Some of his other interpretations, however, although
invoking a disdainful and disparaging retort from Whitney, and a much more
respectful but unconvinced response from Thibaut (and Oldenberg), are more
interesting.    Edwin Bryant