"Protestant"

Laurie Patton lpatton at emory.edu
Tue Mar 18 18:18:57 UTC 1997

Professor Salmond,

	You might also want to look at Gregory Schopen's piece,
"Archaeology and Protestant Presuppositions in the Study of Buddhism,"
in History of Religions 31.1 (1991): 1-23.  This article
is not exactly on the topic you raise, but an important related issue:
the relationship between certain Protestant understandings of what counts
as "true religion" and the ways in which scholars of Buddhism have
incorporated such theological perspectives into their own assessments of
archaeological and textual data.

All the best,

Laurie L. Patton
Dept. of Religion