"Protestant"

Noel Salmond nsalmond at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Mar 17 02:26:52 UTC 1997

I find that both Rammmohun Roy or Dayananda Sarasvati are frequently
referred to as the "Martin Luther of India."  Gananath Obeyesekere and
Richard Gombrich have used the term "Protestant Buddhism" to refer to
features of Theravaada Buddhism in Sri Lanka of the past century or so. R.
Neufeldt has referred to the thought of M.G. Ranade as "Protestant Hinduism."

Is there a literature on the applicability of the heuristic epithet
"Protestant" to some modern movements in the Indian religions? I am aware,
of course, of Max Weber but can anyone direct me to commentary on the
recent use of this category, or would anyone care to comment on its
usefulness?

With thanks

Noel Salmond
Carleton University