References requested

J. Neelis neelisja at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 13 06:43:32 UTC 1997

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Ruth Laila Schmidt wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I am looking for references dealing with the following subjects, on which I
> have no expertise, and would very much appreciate any suggestions from the
> members of the list.
>
> 1. The genre of qawwali in Urdu

On qawwali:

1. Qureshi, Regula Burckhard. Sufi Music of India and Pakistan: Sound,
Context and Meaning in Qawwali. Cambridge Studies in Ethnomusicology,
Cambridge University Press, 1986

2. Nayyar, Adam. Qawwali. Lok Virsa Research Centre, Islamabad, 1988.

3. I would also suggest the liner notes by Martina Catella and Adam Nayyar
of a CD entitled Qawwali, expression de l'essentiel desir or Qawwali, the
essence of desire featuring Mehr and Sher Ali produced by Musique du
Monde.

I will look for more references in Urdu.

Regards,
Jason Neelis