Indo-Germanic

bpj at netg.se bpj at netg.se
Sun Mar 9 21:16:43 UTC 1997

>It's still remarkable that someone invented the word "Indo-Germanic" and
>nobody came up with "Indo-Dutch", "Indo-Irish" or "Indo-Italian". If it's a
>nazi-word, then it shouldn't be used anymore. If not then it still is a sign
>of blunt and naieve nationalism. And maybe some people could be tempted to
>jump to conclusions. There have been quite a few German philosophers, like
>f.i. Martin Heidegger, who really believed that the German people were "das
>metafysische Volk" and the true heirs of ancient Greek civilisation. Some of
>those have still followers today. I would rather not be forgiving about it,
>better safe than sorry. Let's drop the word.
>
>Regards
>
>Erik Hoogcarspel

Amen.

__
|_) |_  * | * __       __  ___   __ ___ __
|   | ) | | | |_)      (_ /_|| * (_ /_| (_ *
              |              |     \
B.Philip Jonsson <bpj at netg.se>
[I write in Swinglish, if nothing else is said.]
|| Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha ||

"Peace is not simply the absence of war.
It is not a passive state of being.
We must wage peace, as vigilantly as we wage war."
(His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama)

"A coincidence, as we say in Middle-Earth"