Indo-Germanic

Lars Martin Fosse l.m.fosse at internet.no
Sun Mar 9 16:19:34 UTC 1997

John Baltuch wrote:

>When I posted on this list a comment on Bopp's position on "IE",
>I tried to make clear I did not believe the use of "IG" by German
>Indoeuropeanists nowadays was anything other than idiomatic (while suggesting
>that they might want to look at the pedigree of the term nonetheless)

One thing has struck me: For many years, the term "IG" has been used in a
perfectly inocuous manner, having been emptied of its ideological content.
Have you thought about the possibility that by making it an object of
discussion, you may contribute to its being ideologized again? Maybe we
should let sleeping bears sleep?

Best regards,

Lars Martin