QUERY: BHIMA

Max.Nihom at oeaw.ac.at Max.Nihom at oeaw.ac.at
Fri Mar 7 09:22:05 UTC 1997

>Hello to everybody
>
>it seems that in the javanese Mahabharata, there is a story about Bhima
>searching for his own self; during the search, he goes to the ground of
>the ocean, where he finds himself - only in a reduced (smaller) form of his
>"normal" self.
>
>Does anybody know, whether this story also occurs in the Sanskrit (or any
>other Indian) Mahabharata - and if so -- where?
>
>Thanks.  ULRIKE

I may be in error, but this story is not, I think, in the Javanese
Mahabharata, but is the frame story of the Navaruci (ed. and tranl. by
Prijohoetomo, Nawaruci: Inleiding, Middel-Javaansche prozatekst, vertaling,
Groningen, 1934). [see also, Jan Gonda, "Some Notes on the Relation between
Syntactic and Metrical Units in a Javanese Kidung, BKI 114 (1958),
pp.98-116]. A metrical version is Poerbatjaraka, Dewa-Ruci, in Djawa 20
(1940), pp.5-55.

The language of both of these versions is hardly Old, but rather Middle
Javanese, something which itself would militate against the story  being of
Indian origin.

Max Nihom
Vienna