decipering a colophon

Richard Salomon rsalomon at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 5 15:53:09 UTC 1997

Lists of words used in chronograms are given in:

	1. P. V. Kane, History of Dharmasastra V, pt.1, pp. 701-3.

	2. G. Bu:hler, Indian Paleography..., 84-6.

	3. D. C. Sircar, Indian Epigraphy, pp. 230-3.

These sources (esp. Sircar, who gives ripu = 6) would seem to support your
interpretation of the date in question.  I don't find vairi- in any of the
lists, but it is obviously a synonym of ripu/ari, etc., and hence
presumably also = 6.

R. Salomon