work ethic

Adi Hastings amhastin at midway.uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 3 15:47:32 UTC 1997

Just on the subject of Weber's comparative project in general, the work of
Guenther Roth and Wolfgang Schluchter is, I think, unparallelled. E.g.,:

Roth, Guenther. 1971. Max Weber's comparative approach and historical
typology. In Ivan Vallier, ed. _Comparative Methods in Sociology_. Pp.
75-93. Berkeley: University of California Press.

Roth, Guenther. 1976. History and sociology in the work of Max Weber.
_British Journal of Sociology_ 27(3):306-318.

Roth, Guenther and Wolfgang Schluchter. 1979. _Max Weber's Vision of
History: Ethics and Methods_. Berkeley: University of California Press.

Schluchter, Wolfgang. 1987. Weber's sociology of rationalism and typology
of religious rejections of the world. In Scott Lash and Sam Whimster, eds.
_Max Weber, Rationality, and Modernity_. Pp. 92-115. London: Allen &
Unwin. [See also the essay by Pierre Bourdieu in the same volume].

One locus for debates on the development of "functional equivalents" of
the Protestant ethic in India is, as you probably are aware, Suzanne and
Lloyd Rudolph's (1967) _The Modernity of Tradition_.  Also, cf. the
debates between John Goheen, M. N. Srinivas, D. G. Karve, and Milton
Singer in vol. 7, no. 1 (1958) of _Economic Development and Cultural
Change_.  I'm not sure how much literature there actually has been in
recent years (say, the last decade) on these issues. Anyone else?

Adi Hastings
Depts. of Anthropology and Linguistics
University of Chicago