Public domain vs. copyright

Allen Thrasher athr at loc.gov
Mon Mar 3 14:14:59 UTC 1997

I believe that in the case of manuscripts of long-dead authors, the
copyright to a _manuscript_ belongs to the owner of the manuscript.
E.g. if the BORI has the only MS of some work, you need its permission to
publish your transcription of the MS.  Question: if an institution or
other MS owner allows you to examine a MS as part of doing a critical
edition, involving several MSS, can it then decide it doesn't want you to
include its MS's readings in your publication?

Allen W. Thrasher

The opinions expressed do not represent those of my employer.