Indus culture, Durga and Cilappatikaaram

Mark F. Tritsch tritsch at MZDMZA.ZDV.UNI-MAINZ.DE
Mon Jun 30 16:33:11 UTC 1997

> From:          GANESANS at cl.uh.edu  6/26/97
>    --------------------------------------------
> In the Western ghats, in between Palghat and Coimbatore,
> there is a deer called as "kELai aaDu". It is small - may be 3 feet high.
> I always wondered why it is called a "goat"!. Is it the same as
> markhor goat, referred to in Parpola's book??!

Dear Ganesan,

according to S.H.Prater, "Indian Animals", the animal you are talking
about is the Nilgiri Tahr (Hemitragus hylocrius), and he gives the
tamil and kannada name as varai adoo. I don't know what kelai means,
but maybe it's just a local variation of the name. Although the
Nilgiri Tahr is a goat, it is not the same as the Markhor (Capra
falconeri) - it lives, like its relative the Himalayan Tahr
(Hemitragus jemlahicus) in even higher and more inaccessible places
than the Markhor, and above all it has short, slightly curved horns, not
long and twisted ones like the Markhor.

Greetings,

Mark Tritsch

Dr. Mark F. Tritsch