Navagraha worship

S Krishna mahadevasiva at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 27 00:37:22 UTC 1997

N.Ganesan writes:

>I recollect C. Sivaramamurti's writings from one his large books.
>It goes something like this:
>Rajaraja Chola I marries his daughter to Vimaladitya Chalukya I
>of Vengi country in Andhra. Due to her, a big Surya
>temple came to be erectedin Andhra. Later, a descendent of that
            ------------------------

Are you refering to the temple in Arasavilli in the Srikakulam district?
If so, I am not sure if this temple can be classified as "big"..
there was a local governor during Aurangazebs time who systematically
had every temple demolished....so the temple was mde *low-profile*
then....of course, all this is true if and only if we are refering to
the same thing.

I suppose one can also add MuttusvAmi dIkshitars "navagraha krtis"
to this list of astrology- related works from Tamil NAdu. While other
forms of worship required *mantra-initation*, this form of Krti singing
requires none and can be sung by anybody who knows the lyric.
FRom what I remember from my reading and discussion, all the nine Grahas
are represented i.e. have temples in the Tanjavur district.
The list is as follows:
(I've left blanks for temples that I cannot remember)

sUrya-   sUryanAr koil
chandra- tiruvArUr
angAraka- vaidIswaran koil
budha- ?
brhaspati-?
sukra- ?
shani-?
rahu- tirunAgeswaram
ketu-?

For some reason, it is only the Sun-god who is worshipped in other parts
of India.....there are sun temples in Andhra, Orissa, Gujarat
and KAshmir from what I remember, but no temples to any of the other
planets except for Mandapalli( Andhra Pradesh) and a Chandra temple
in Himachal Pradesh( the name of the town slips my mind now)

Krishna

Krishna

Krishna