Help with a verse

Patricio Nelson pnelson at estud.colmex.mx
Thu Jun 26 12:39:42 UTC 1997

Dear Indologists;

         I´m sorry if this message is repeated. I sent it yesterday
and it was automatically  returned because of some problem with my address..

          Anyhow, I am working on the Laghu Tanka. This is a 19th century
Sanskrit text written by a pandit from Bhopal, Central India, who Lancelot
Wilkinson called Soobaji Bapoo. The Laghu Tanka is a response to the
Vajrasuci, a Buddhist criticism of the brahminical caste system. My
question comes from the end of the Laghu Tanka where the text makes the
following reference:

itishrii hariharadvaya sushlokacaranaadi ghatitasuvarnaadinaamnaa samasta
brahmanvidvanmandalii shisyena viracitovajrasuuciilaghutamkah
samaapta

Here seems to be the name of the author and something else which is
coded into the text. Does anybody know what is going on? I believe it
is a reference to verses from another text. Do you know which text?
I´ve also thought of another possiblility. There are
some other verses which refer to Harihara that are mentioned shortly
before this:

atah sarvasaukyavyaartham bhagavad aashisamaashaasmahe
subhadraashiih pradau ramyaavyaalaam shukaviraajitau
jitakaamau hariharau baanadoshchinnakadripuu
puurnaanamdaikacidruupau vashavartijagattrayau
dadyaataamsharmavonashca tirohitaprthagbhramau

Maybe the previous reference has to do with a way of reading these
verses. Maybe you have another suggestion?

                Thank you for any help you can offer me on this.

Patricio Nelson
CEAA
El Colegio de México