Derivation of word "Hindu"

D.H. Killingley D.H.Killingley at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 11:19:35 UTC 1997

That was the point of my query. Usually when a place-name is adopted by
foreigners, they form a derivative of the indigenous name. But in this
case, the Iranians seem to have used a cognate, not a derivative.

Dr Dermot Killingley
Dept of Religious Studies
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
Phone 0191 222 6730    Fax 0191 222 5185