Brahman divisions

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at cco.caltech.edu
Thu Jun 5 21:53:26 UTC 1997

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Robert Zydenbos wrote:

> In Karnataka, stereotypical images about the other group are often
> summarized in short rhymes or puns on the name of the other caste. For
> instance, I have often heard "Kamme endare hemme" ("Kamme means 'pride'"), a
> catchphrase which expresses the supposedly arrogant airs which Kammes have
> about them (significantly, I have never heard this from the mouth of a Kamme).

Such catchy statements express stereotypes among Tamil speakers too.
examples:

vaDaman mutti vaishNavan - supposedly most of Ramanuja's original
followers were vaDamas.

tanjAvUr taLukku - Tanjavur Brahmins are supposed to be very shrewd.

north Arcot aSaDu, ashTasahasram aSaDu, kaNDramANikkam kaNDrAvi, ...

Tamilians like alliteration, I suppose!

Vidyasankar