epics comparison

Laurie L. Patton lpatton at emory.edu
Wed Jun 4 21:32:26 UTC 1997

See Gregory Alles, The Iliad, the Ramayana, and the Work of Religion:
Failed Persuasion and Religious Mystification (University Park, PA: Penn
State University Press, 1994).  His biblio would also be helpful for your
interests.

Also, on comparative epics more generally, Masaki Mori, Epic Grandeur:
Toward a Comparative Poetics of the Epic (Albany: SUNY Press, 1997)

You're probably already quite familiar with Felix Oinas' work (Heroic Epic
and Saga, ed. by Felix Oinas and intro by Richard Dorson, Bloomingtom:
Indiana University Press, 1978). I've found it a helpful teaching
tool, even though old.

Laurie L. Patton
Emory University
Dept. of Religion