Text references on 'kalasha/ kumbha/ ghaTa'

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 30 21:14:18 UTC 1997

You might want to take a look at elements of the Kumbha Mela, for which I
would suggest:

Bonazzoli, Giorgio.  Prayaga and its Kumbha Mela".  Purana 19: 81-179.  1977.

Sax, William S.  "Kumbha Mela".  The Encyclopedia of Religion,  vol. 8:
401-402.  Mircea Eliade, editor in chief.  New York: Macmillan, 1987.

Also, the following book (if I remember correctly) has some ideas about the
symbolism of the "puur.na kumbha."

Pannikar, Raymond.  The Vedic experience : mantramanjari : an anthology of
the Vedas for modern man and contemporary celebration / edited and ...
Berkeley : University of California Press, 1977.

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann
University of California, Berkeley