subhaa.sita

fsmith at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu fsmith at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 23 18:34:43 UTC 1997

Thanks Madhav. I hope your daughter's vivaaha went off well. You needn't
write a testimonial for John Gardner's website or database. He has put in
an enormous amount of work on it, but even a hundred letters from scholars
will probably not improve his chances for further funding from the
University. He has simply taken too much time and made several enemies
here. So I'm afraid he will have to complete his dissertation without
further support from the Univ. There remains a possibility that the Dean
will have mercy on him and throw a few dollars his direction, but that is
nothing that more letters of support for his web work will assist.

Best regards,

Fred

Frederick M. Smith
Assoc. Prof. of Sanskrit and Classical Indian Religion
School of Religion - 314 Gilmore Hall
Department of Asian Languages and Literature - 653 Phillips Hall
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242  U.S.A.
+ 319-335-2178 (O)
+ 319-338-7193 (H)