INDIA - A Search for its Present in History

sudheer birodkar sudheer_birodkar at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 18 04:30:52 UTC 1997

Hello,

I have put up some of the notes of my sociological study
‘INDIA - A Search for the Present in History’ at the site:
"http://members.tripod.com/~sudheerb/"

I invite you to visit this site.

Sudheer
_______________

P.S.The intriguing title of this book represents a novel approach to
the study of present society looked upon as a result of history.

This approach 'stands on its head' the conventional approach to
                                                                     the
study of history which begins with the dim past and comes to
                                                                     the
present as a conclusion. Our approach starts with social

institut ions and practices of the contemporary age and traces

their origin and development to the historic past.

With this approach the reader does not feel lost on 'She opening

page of a history bock. He is not confronted with a society in

which lived his ancestors two or three thousand years ago. He

begins with the society surrounding him, which is of his immediate

concern. This method of interpreting the present and past should

establish an intimate rapport between a citizen of today and the

heritage bequeated to him by earlier generations. In our lifestyle,

customs, traditions, beliefs; our history is reflected but it is

normally beyond our perception. It would be a fascinating and

enlightening experience to trace the origins of things we see and
                                                                     do
today in the bygone ages. For more on this visit the site:
"http://members.tripod.com/~sudheerb/"