Etymology of 'tanU'

S Krishna mahadevasiva at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 13 22:10:02 UTC 1997

S.Palaniappan writes:

By the way, in case of 'tuki' we are talking about a period at least
1000 years earlier than the time you had mentioned. The Kerala region
seems tohave had a long documented history of Jewish settlement going
back  to atleast 2nd century AD. The trading relationship probably is
much older.

I do realise that I was mistaken in saying that this tukki<togai
business was from the 5th century A.D. .Mea Culpa. I was basing this on
the fact that the ancient Tamil civilization had reached a zenith
in terms of foriegn trade from 200 AD onwards to 500 AD.(I picked the
later date while writing the earlier post). After sending the post, I
realised that there was no Jewish ruled territory after 46 A.D., when
Masada fell...I realised that there could have been no interaction after
that since there existed no Jewish civilization/Judah around 500 AD
since Judah had completely fallen by then. However, I would like to
point out that according to the Encyclopedia Britannica, "Tamil trade
with the ancient Greeks and Romans is verified by literary, linguistic
and archeological evidence". There is no mention of Hebrew interaction.
  On reflecting about it, I would like to point out that there was a lot
of interaction between the Greeks, Romans and Tamils, but even if this
were dragged to the earliest point, seems to be around the year 20 B.C.,
when a Pandyan king sent his emissary to Athens where he was recieved by
Augustus at Athens. I donot know of any evidence or text
that points to interaction as early as 500 B.C..
   As is known, the temple in Jerusalem was constucted first in 920 B.C.
by Solomon and was destroyed around 600 BC when the Babylonians overcame
Judah.
  The restoration of Judah was around 535 BC and the temple was
reconstructed soon after that( This could have been no later than 500
BC, which is why I said in an earlier paragraph that there was no
interaction between the two cultures around 500 BC).
  By the times the ancient Tamils took to the seas in a big way for the
purpose of trade( no earlier than 20-50 BC), the second kingdom of Judah
was in trouble. By the year 66 BC, the second temple had been destroyed
as a result of unsuccesful revolts directed against Roman rule.
  I know not of any other construction in Jerusalem for which material
was brought in from far and wide other than the construction these two
temples.
  This is why I found the mention of material from the ancient Tamil
country being used for the the construction of the temples( the later
around 535-500 BC) strange and anachronistic. There is a story about the
navy of Tharshish bringing presents from India to King Solomon in the
book of Kings, but this has been proved to be historically inaccurate;
pls note that the Ancient Tamil civilization as we know it now did not
exist during the time of Solomon.( Even the earliest traces go back no
earlier than 500 BC and these certainly don't refer to taking to the
seas). Other examples of proved anachronisms include a temple to
Augustus in Tamil Nadu( from the resemblance of the words Agatsya, a
popular and recurring figure in the history/mythology of ancient Tamil
Nadu). I have not read Parasuramans book ( and therefore cannot pass
final judgement) which was quoted earlier in this thread, but based on
the above evidence, I doubt STRONGLY if material from N.India/Tamil
country made it even to the second construction, the first construction
being a myth. Needless to say, I will peruse Parasuramans book and try
to understand his arguments.

  I would also like to add at this stage that it was not my intention to
throw stones at the derivation of "tanU" but simply an attempt to
analyze a sentence in the introduction.( I have followed the argument
on "tanU", I agree with it and I haven't criticized this any of my
postings). My point was that if one were to look for words and meanings
and come to conclusions based on similarity in them without examining
history of contacts between two civilizations( not applicable in the
case of tanU, since there was contact between the  civilizations
concerned), one may come to wrong conclusions; it is possible that these
may have come through random duplication. This is the reason why I gave
the examples of Chinese/Tamil "nee" and Kannada/Korean "innu". Since
linguistics is proving so "painful" to discuss/prove my point, let us
look at random duplications in naming patterns: The usual method of
writing a persons name is to write the given name followed by the middle
name(s) followed by the family name;
the exceptions to this rule are in China,Japan,Korea( one contagious
geographical unit), Andhra Pradesh and Hungary where the family name is
written first followed by the "middle name(s)" followed by the
"first/Christian" name. I am sure that this came about independently and
had nothing to do with each other.
  Likewise, the use of the fathers name as middle name is prevalent
among the Russians and in Maharashtra/Gujarat; this also is a case of
random duplication and has nothing to do with borrowing.
  The habit of using the mothers family name as opposed to fathers
family name is prevalent among the Nairs in Kerala and in parts of
Central Africa.( another case of random duplication).
  There are examples of random duplication in social customs, dress
habits( nothing to do with weather; note that the sari is traditionally
worn by women in Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu over the left
shoulder, Maharashtra, Bengal and Andhra follow the right shoulder
pattern....this is a case of random duplication, note that the sari is
worn in different ways in Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu in spite of
extensive interaction in the 17th century, but there is similarity
between Gujarati and Tamil styles though the contact was restricted to
the immigration of the Palkaar/Saurashtrian community)
and many other things.
  My only concern was that if taken by itself( i.e. ignoring the
widespread prevalence of random duplication), the orginal sentence on
which I had remarked can lead to erroneous conclusions.
 Before I depart, I would like to say that
1. My comments take away nothing from the "tanU" argument and was not
intended to criticize it.
2. I did not wish to hurt anybodys feelings; if I did,I must offer my
heartfelt apologies to them.

Krishna