Sanskrit OCR

Burkhard Quessel fo4a004 at rrz.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Jul 11 09:10:03 UTC 1997

David Dargie wrote:

> In any case, does anyone know of an OCR system that is accurate for roman
> transliteration.  Has anyone tried to input text in this way?

Most of the OCR programmes using the Omnifont approach (like Omnipage)
can - to a certain extent - also be trained for new characters. But try
Finereader Professional by Bitsoft. It can be trained to read all kinds
of characters (I even had good results with Tibetan print type) and it
seems to be better than the much more expensive Optopus. There is a
try&buy version available at the Bitsoft site (http://www.bitsoft.ru)

regards

Burkhard

--
Burkhard Quessel
Institute for India and Tibet, Hamburg University
e-mail: quessel at rrz.uni-hamburg.de