Creation of Durga

Srinivasan Pichumani srini at engin.umich.edu
Wed Jan 22 18:12:51 UTC 1997

	R. Soneji gave a list of books on Durga Saptashati (=Devi Mahatmyam).
	Here is one more, plus a question:

	Devi Mahatmyam Translated & with a commentary by Swami Siddhinathananda.
	Bharatiya Vidya bhavan, Kulapati Munshi Marg, Bombay.

	This book was reviewed in Vedanta Kesari (Oct. 1996) by P.S. Ramamurti.

	Question:
	In the above review Ramamurti says: "There are seven existing commentaries
	on Devi Mahatmyam." Does anyone know more about these commentaries?

	Thanks and Om,
	Swami Vishvarupananda

I looked up the following title in our library catalog
a while ago for a friend... it lists the seven commentaries.
Guptavati is by the famous Bhaaskararaaya.
_________

 Uniform title:  Puranas. Markandeyapurana. Devimahatmya.

 Title:          Durgasaptasati : Durgapradipa-Guptavati-Caturdhari,
                 Santanavi-Nagojibhatti-Jagaccandracandrika-Damsoddhara
		 iti saptatikasamvalita / Vyankataramatmaja Harikrsnasarmana
                 sangrhita.

 Published:      Delhi : Butala, 1984.

 Contributors:   Sarma, Harikrsna Vyankatarama.

 Notes:          In Sanskrit.
                 Reprint. Originally published: Bombay : Khemaraja
                 Srikrshnadasa, 1894.
                 Durga, Hindu deity; with commentaries from tantric point of
                 view.

-Srini.