puurvapadalopa-samaasa??

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at unixg.ubc.ca
Mon Jan 20 01:16:07 UTC 1997

While I am thinking about compounds that could possibly be explained as
instances of puurva-pada-lopa, I wish to mention one other possibility of
interpreting ratanasaasane. One quite common meaning of ratna/ratana is
'the best of a kind' (jaatau jaatau yad utk.r.s.ta.m tad ratnam ity
abhidhiiyate; I think Malli-naatha cites this in one of his
commentaries). So ratanasaasana can be the equivalent of saasana-ratana
'the best of teachings.'