the root of the ear

Peter J. Claus pclaus at haywire.csuhayward.edu
Fri Jan 17 01:24:05 UTC 1997

Elephant-ear is a kind of taro (a plant with alarge edible root) grown
esp. in the southern and coastal parts of India (needs a lot of water). It
has very large leaves, hence the name.  But being an English term, I would
not be surprised if ther were a number of totally different plants sharing
the name.