German Indology

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Feb 24 20:40:30 UTC 1997

	Calling Dominik Wuyastyk a Polish scholar would not be so out of
line.  In a recent review of a book of mine in the American journal
Language, the reviewer refers to me as an Indian scholar, this despite of
my teaching at Michigan for 25 years, and my American passport.  In India,
however, I am pleasantly introduced as a scholar from America.  Whether
one retains both the identities or hangs in the middle really depends upon
one's own construction of identity, but that does not prevent others from
doing their own constructions of your identity.
	All the best,
				Madhav Deshpande

	I also happen to be married to an Indian woman of American
nationality, and have two Indian daughters born in America, who some day
could run for the office of the President of the United States.