Importance of transliteration; naidunia in hindi on the web

S. Kalyanaraman mdsaaa48 at giasmd01.vsnl.net.in
Sun Feb 23 02:41:32 UTC 1997

Hi,
Why not use roman script for all Indian languages (in addition to the nagari etc. script relevant
for the language)? It is as easy to read sanskrit in roman script as it is in devanagari script;
the advantage we gain with transliteration is that we will be developing a universal script
based on the roman (as distinct from the UNICODE approach). This may be an effective
way to open up India into the 21st century and into the world. Of course, we have to
provide computer literacy to every child by 2001+.
Regards, Kalyanaraman.