Q. avattam

Andreas Schuettler Andreas.Schuettler at UNI-KOELN.DE
Thu Dec 18 17:29:44 UTC 1997

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, N. Ganesan wrote:

>     Q. avattam
>     **********
>
> I looked in the University of Koeln - IITS web site for the
> Tamil word, "avattam". Its meaning is "evil, calamity".
>
> I need a textual occurence of "avattam" where this word has
> the abovesaid meaning.
>
> Can someone look it up in Madras university Tamil Lexicon
> and give a sentence from a relevent reference?
>
> Thanks,
> N. Ganesan

 For the meaning requested the Madras Tamil Lexicon has the following
 entrance:

 avattam2, n. prob ava-sthaa.  Evil, calamity; keeTu. avatta.nkaL
 viLaiyum (tiv. tiruvaay. 10, 3, 9).

 I guess the reference is maNavALamAmun_ikaL, tiruvAymol_i nURRantAti,
 cen_n_ai:  kaNEca accukkUTam, 1920.

 Hope that is helpful

 All the best

 Andreas Schuettler, IITS, University Koeln, Germany