Graha epithets (tArA,tArakA and tAraka)

Clare Martin clare at COOMBS.ANU.EDU.AU
Wed Dec 10 22:45:44 UTC 1997

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Jacob Baltuch wrote:

> >As a native speaker (whether educated or not is another question) of
> >American English, I am entirely unaware of any verbs such as 'to encore',
>
> Ok, how about "don't honey me"?

I'm not a student of indian languages either but as a native speaker of
english and as a woman I feel I could make some comments about being
"honeyed". The situation usually arises when some man addresses a woman
with those forms of pseudo endearment such as "Honey" or "Baby" which
tend to be belittling and are also americanisms. If the reply to this is
"Don't honey me", the "honey" is actually in quotes, referring to the
previous comment. It's not being used as a verb.

Whether 'honey', 'encore' or 'yes' can be converted to verbs in the US I
can't say, but it certainly sounds strange in Australia.

Cheers, Clare Martin

        Clare Martin                       clare at coombs.anu.edu.au
        PO Box 13                              Tel: (02) 6247 2397
        Ainslie                                    +61 2 6247 2397
        ACT  2602                              Fax: (02) 6248 8905
        Australia