Hanuman and Maharashtra

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Sun Dec 7 12:54:10 UTC 1997

        At the village level in Maharashtra, the most popular divinities
are Hanuman, Ganesha and Devi.  Consider even a city like Pune, which has
literally hundreds of small temples of Hanuman.
        Tradition believes that it was Ramadasa, Shivaji's guru who
promoted the setting up of Hanuman temples, but there may be prior history
to these temples.  Shivaji himself is, again by the tradition, more
closely associated with the goddess Bhavani.  Evidently his own sword was
named after Bhavani.
        I suspect that there are deeper historical connections between
Karnataka and Maharashtra, and the popularity of Hanuman in both of these
regions probably is one of those connections.  Of course, there are large
Madhva followers especially in southern Maharashtra.  Not only Hanuman
appears as a common first name, besides Maruti, Marut Rao etc., it also
shows up in some Marathi last names, i.e. HaNmante.
                                Madhav Deshpande