discussion track on manuscripts

Bijoy Misra bmisra at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Dec 4 15:00:37 UTC 1997

I also have another observation.  While I think
people have a right to differ with views, analysis
of an ethnic background or disciplinary training
has little to do with a general policy issue.
I hope we can keep such discussion above any
personal or nationality level.  My observation
is that a person's ethnic background has no
relevance and should not enter discussion.
( pun: It sounds like Mahabharata somewhat when
Karna is asked to describe lineage before he is
permitted to participate.  I believe it's
a mistake.)

Coming back to my view, let me state it clearly
again.  I strongly hold that the intellectual
property of a nation/people must not leave them
on any circumstance.  The efforts to preserve
them locally and disseminate them globally is
relevant.  But to capture them and move them out
of the country is unscholarly and must not happen.
It's a competition between personal ethics
and an urge to move ahead.  In such competition
scholarly ethics must win over any other rationalization!

I agree that things have happened in the past and many
manuscripts and artefacts have left shores.  I call upon
all scholars to prevent such happenings and help preserve
materials among the people who contributed in generating
them.  This is true globally.  This is a social call and
a call of respect to the intellectual property and its
owners.  If we all pitch in, we can assist with various
efforts that are under way in respective countries.
This we must do.  To feel pity about the deteriorating
condition and to make effort to "rescue" the material
is a negative concept.  Think of "preserve" instead.

I thank all to listen to my argument.  A focussed
discussion and proposed efforts are worthwhile.

Bijoy Misra