Possible future panel: textual dating. (fwd)

Edwin Bryant ebryant at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Dec 3 12:15:28 UTC 1997

Dear all,

I would like to suggest the following possible topic for a future AAR (or
Madison) panel: "Dating of Sanskrit texts: old assumptions, new
evaluations" (or some such thing).

Dennis Hudson has been doing very interesting and innovative work
based on his analysis of the iconography of the Vaikuntha
Perumal temple at Kanchipuram (which suggests a more ancient date for
parts of the Bhagavat Purana than has generally been accepted by critical
scholarship) and is willing to present some of his conclusions.  I would
like to present a paper on how scholars ascertained the commonly accepted
dates for the early Vedic literature and discuss some of the challenges
to such dating (especially focusing on an analysis of the
astro-chronological claims in this regard).

Anyone else interested in presenting a paper connected with textual dating
that might resonate with the above two topics?

Hope you are all well,   Edwin Bryant