Q: Black Draupadi?

John Smith jds10 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 22:16:57 UTC 1997

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Dominique.Thillaud wrote:

> 	This is an old debat: is the MBh historical or mythical ? The same
> thing arise in Greece with the Trojan War.

Yes, and the details you give of comparable elements in the two are
genuinely interesting. But "is the MBh historical or mythical" sounds like
a dangerous question to me. "Is the Bible historical or mythical?" --- "Is
this plate round or is it white?"

John Smith

Dr J. D. Smith                *  jds10 at cam.ac.uk
Faculty of Oriental Studies   *  Tel. 01223 335140 (Switchboard 01223 335106)
Sidgwick Avenue               *  Fax  01223 335110
Cambridge CB3 9DA             *  http://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/index.html