verification

David R. Israel davidi at mail.wizard.net
Sun Aug 17 12:45:30 UTC 1997

[ was,  Subject:       Re: Q: Indo-Chinese Wars. ]

Ralph Bunker asked,

> Sorry. This message was not intended for the Indology list. Would it
> be possible to have an option that will ask for verification before
> sending a message to the entire list?

Since a mailing list (such as this listproc -- same deal for a
listserv) functions simply through email as such -- i.e., IF you send
a msg. to the Indology address, THEN it will be distributed to the
list, if you don't, it won't -- ergo, my half-educated guess is that
any verification procedure would have to be instituted individually
by the partricular writer at his/her own end of the interaction.

Unless you're suggesting that all messages sent to the Indology
addres should be automatically returned to sender with the question,
"Did you *really* mean to send this here? if so, please re-post"?

Beyond whatever technical difficulties might be involved in
establishing such a hypothetical, it's hard to think of it as being
less cumbersome than the current procedure, -- a procedure wherein a
quick glance at the TO field should generally suffice to serve as an
excellent (albeint non-automated) verification mechanism . . . .

pardon the techno-note, all --
d.i.
 .
 |   thy centuries follow each other