Query: the nine Rasas; what colours are associated?

Clare Martin clare at coombs.anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 7 11:39:04 UTC 1997

Dear list-members,

I've been reading up on Indian aesthetic theories and I gather that each
rasa has its associated colour. So far I have -
		the comic	white
		the furious	red
		the terrible	black
		the erotic	blue-black
(from B. N. Goswamy, "Another past, another context: Exhibiting Indian
Art Abroad", in "Exhibiting Cultures", Eds Karp & Levine)

However a literature search has failed to reveal any of the others. If anyone
knows the other colour associations I'd be very keen to hear from you. This
is of more than academic interest to me because I am a visual artist and want
to use this in a series of artworks.

Thank you; Clare
	Clare Martin			   clare at coombs.anu.edu.au
	PO Box 13				Tel: (06) 247 2397