conv-dev: how to join the South Asian special list

Royce.Wiles at anu.edu.au Royce.Wiles at anu.edu.au
Fri Apr 18 02:48:20 UTC 1997

Further to recent questions on this list about the transliteration of South
Asian languages, I am forwarding information I received about a (new?) list
devoted to discussing just that.

Royce Wiles

>>conv-dev: how to join the South Asian special list
>>

>>This is a reminder to all those listed below, who have expressed an
>>interest in South Asian scripts, that the following email discussion list:
>>
>>        conv-dev at elot.gr
>>
>>has been set up to allow detailed discussion on transliteration of South
>>Asian languages and scripts.
>>
>>Currently this is underused (too few messages and too few subscribers)
>>and I would urge any of the following who are not yet subscribed to do
>>so. If you received a test message very recently which confirms you are on
>>the list you need take no further action: if you did not receive such a
>>test message, I would urge you to subscribe. All you need do is:
>>
>>Send an email to
>>
>>        majordomo at elot.gr
>>
>>with this message in the body of the text:
>>
>>        subscribe conv-dev your at email.address
>>
>>(but with your real email address replacing the string your at email.address).
>>
>>Once you are subscribed, you will receive an e-mail welcome message with
>>useful information when your subscription request is processed and approved.
>>You can then send messages to conv-dev at elot.gr and receive messages from
>>other members of the list. Please reply where possible to the list as a
>>whole, so that all can benefit: using the Group Reply function (pressing G
>>on some email software) is the simplest way to achieve this.
>>
>>Other members will also be interested to see who else is joining the list, so
>>it is useful to send a brief introduction (say, one or two short paragraphs)
>>to conv-dev at elot.gr at the outset, saying what languages, scripts and other
>>things you are involved in. That is the most likely way to stimulate others
>>to write on the subjects you are interested in!
>>
>>Here is the list of those who have expressed an interest in South Asian
>>scripts, arranged by country code: others with an interest in this area,
>>who have not been included (apolgies for any omissions) are of course
>>welcome to subscribe to conv-dev, but please send me information on the
>>specific scripts that you are interested in.
>>
>>AE   chambers at mail.emirates.net.ae          Ge He Et Ar    SOA
>>AU   daw601 at anu.edu.au                               Ar    SoA
>>AU   wellsd at boris.curtin.edu.au    Gr Cy                   De Ta           CJK
>>CA   alb at sct.gouv.qc.ca            Gr Cy Am Ge He Et Ar Di SoA SEA Tib Mon CJK
>>CA   arsenaul at fis.utoronto.ca         Cy                   SoA SEA Tib Mon CJK
>>CA-  RIVA at LIB1.LAN.MCGILL.CA       Gr Cy Am                De
>>DE   100124.3075 at CompuServe.COM    Gr                      SoA     Tib Mon CJK
>>DE   gabriele.zeller at ub.uni-tuebingen.de                   SoA SEA Tib
>>DE   grotebev at uni-duesseldorf.de                           SoA
>>DK   viralbus at ling.hum.aau.dk      Gr Cy    Ge             SoA SEA         CJK
>>FR   chevilla at linguist.jussieu.fr                          SoA
> [...]

Royce Wiles
Asian History Centre, Faculty of Asian Studies
Australian National University
GPO Box 4, Canberra  ACT 0200   AUSTRALIA

Telephone: +61 6 279 8853 (message)     Home: +61 6 258 5134
Facsimile: +61 6 279 8326               Mobile: +61 (0)41 928 7569