`real' Sanskrit vs `conversational' Sanskrit

Chandan Raghava Narayan cnarayan at uclink2.berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 18 15:22:46 UTC 1997

In addition to Prof. Deshpande's observations, I have also noticed a
"North Indian" pronunciation of ai as different from the "Dravida"
pronunciation. But here I observe something different than Prof.
Deshpande... I have noticed the word jaina pronounced "jane". (We
"Dravidians" tend to give the dipthong its full pronunciation)
cheers, Chandan Narayan.