Universally applicable diacriticals

Alec McAllister ecl6tam at lucs-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 09:11:26 UTC 1997

On 14 Apr 97 at 21:06, J. Kingston Cowart wrote:

>Philip Johnson wrote:
>

>>I'm preparing a webpage dealing with transcription of various scripts and
>>languages, as well as phonetic notation, in ASCII and HTML.
>
>I wonder if anyone is thinking of a way to create software by which one
>might universally apply all possible diacriticals to any existing font?
>
>It would be a formidable undertaking--and a most welcome development.
>
>J. Kingston Cowart

I have made a TrueType font, called LeedsAccent, containing all the
Latin-alphabet characters I can cram into it, plus all the
diacriticals that I know of. The diacriticals are coded separately,
so almost any accent(s) can be combined with any character. The font
is free for non-commercial use.

It's not particularly beautiful, being based on Bitstream Charter,
but it works. (I'm working on another version, to look more like
Times New Roman, as well as a Cyrillic equivalent.)

I'd be happy to send copies to anyone who is interested.

I suggest that you send such requests off-list.

Alec.

Alec McAllister
Arts Computing Development Officer
Computing Service