Melleny

Allen Thrasher athr at loc.gov
Mon Apr 14 13:54:37 UTC 1997

Re St. Napoleon:

There is one, though I am doing reference duty at the Asian RR desk and
can't check Butler's Lives of the Saints.  How do you think Buonaparte got
his Christian name?  Napoleon the Emperor encouraged the spread of the
cult of Napoleon the Saint, without much permanent success, obviously.

I asked my late colleague Dr. Sam Iftikhar, a Pakistani (Punjabi)
Christian (Presbyterian), once, why S. Asian Christians sometimes had for
personal names English family names.  He said they were the names of
specially respected missionaries.  Which implies that it was not thought
that every European name and only European names were suitable for
Christians.

My impression is that S. Asian Christian females are more likely to have
'Indian' (large scare quotes) names in addition to or instead of a saint's
name than males.

Allen W. Thrasher

The opinions expressed do not represent those of my employer.