VYAKARAN: Re: Classical Sanskrit Accent

Dick Oliver dicko at netletter.com
Thu Apr 10 18:08:41 UTC 1997

> dc> Oh, and BTW you'll probably be understood better if you
> dc> refrain from, as the
> dc> South-Indian idiom goes, "speaking in Sanskrit." <grin>
>
>Is this South Indian? I've never heard it. Perhaps you mean Tamilian?

I'm not fluent in Tamil (which is a South-Indian language, last I heard),
but my understanding is that the idiom suggests either speaking
incomprehensibly or talking dirty, depending on the context. I don't really
know how much the phrase is used in TN these days since I don't live there.

Anyway, it was just a (very small) jest. As a rule, jesting falls rather
flat when it has to be explained! <g>

--Dick Oliver ----------
  Cedar Science Center
  Wolcott, Vermont USA