Nietzschegati

a2795850 at smail1.rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE a2795850 at smail1.rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE
Sun Apr 6 00:31:39 UTC 1997

>In section 27 of 'Beyond Good and Evil', Nietzsche uses the¶
>Sanskrit terms 'Gangasrotagati','Kurmagati', and 'Mandukagati', to describe
>different types of living and thought.
>Can anyone tell me where he might have read these expressions and in what
>context they're used?¶

Nietzsches source could be Schopenhauer, who knew the Sanskrit-Literature
and loved the Bhagavadgita.
And Nietzsche knew Schopenhauer very well. So I can imagine that he had this
terms from Schopenhauer.
In 'Beyond Good and Evil' there are some polemic sections against
Schopenhauer. Perhaps this section is one of them.

Good luck,
Arash

Arash Zeini
e-mail: a2795850 at smail.rrz.uni-koeln.de