Rig Veda, ta'ntra, nUl, and sUtra

Vidhyanath Rao vidynath at math.ohio-state.edu
Fri Apr 4 18:46:34 UTC 1997

Vidyasankar Sundaresan <vidya at cco.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Isn't there a language-czar somewhere in an Indian govt. office whose job
> is to coin such terms for use in Hindi? I wonder what they have come up
> with.

This brings up something that has been bothering me. In which language
did the word `antarraaSTriya' originate as the translation of
`international' and did this use of antar have antecedents in that
language?

The reason why I don't think that this is natural in Hindi is this:
One dictionary (I think `Oxford') translates `antarjaata' as `innate',
`endogamous', and `antarjaatiya' as `intercaste'. Another,
called something like `Bhargava's Hindi-English Dictionary'
translates `antarjaatiya' as `intercaste' but has a seperate entry
for `antarjaatiya vivaah' with the meaning given as `endogamous marriage'
[I am not kidding.] And Raghu Vira's English-Hindi dictionary
suggests `antar' to form claques of both `endo' and `inter'.
Very confusing.