avidya in Pali literature

John Richards Jhr at elidor.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 22:20:48 UTC 1997

> In sutra II.5 of Patanjali's Yogasutra, avidya is defined as follows:
>
> anityaashuciduHkhaanaatmasu nityashucisukhaatmakhyaatiravidyaa |
>
> "Avidya is the taking of the non-eternal, the impure, the painful and
the
> non-self to be the eternal, the pure, the pleasurable and the self."
>
> I'm almost certain that there exists, somewhere in early Buddhist
(Pali)
> literature, a passage on avidya which uses very-similar wording.
However,
> I can't seem to locate it at present. Can anyone out there help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kristen Hardy,
> student of religion,
> University of Manitoba

Not entirely. I don't think you will find anything EXACTLY parallel to
this in the Pali Canon, though there are a number of passages that
CUMULATIVELY (taken together) come quite close.

For example passages that describe avijjaa as failing to recognise the
three signs (lakkhana) of anicca, dukkha and anattaa, or failing to see
the 4 truths, or failing to see the truths of assaada, aadiinava and
nissara.na, or the failure to see that "Ya.m ki~nci samudayadhamma.m
sabba.m ta.m nirodhadhamma.m -

Then there are verses like -

To see the essence in the unessential and to see the essence as
unessential means one can never get to the essence, wandering  as one is
in the road of wrong intentions. (Dhammapada 11)

that are saying something very similar.

As are the verses

All processes (sankhaaraa) are impermanent. When one sees this with
understanding, then one is disillusioned with the things of suffering.
This is the Path of Purification. Dhammapada 277

All processes are painful. When one sees this with understanding, then
one is disillusioned with the things of suffering. This is the Path of
Purification. 278

All processes are out of my control (anattaa). When one sees this with
understanding, then one is disillusioned with the things of suffering.
This is the Path of Purification. 279

I hope this helps a little. Certainly, I would agree with you that
Avijjaa as the failure to see the three lakkhana comes very close to the
Patanjali definition - particularly if you translated this as -

"Avidya is the taking of what is non-eternal, impure, painful and non-self
to be eternal, pure, pleasurable and self."

(The inclusion of the "thes" rather reifies "eternal" and "self" in a way
that many Buddhists would probably find unacceptable.)

--
John Richards
Stackpole Elidor (UK)
jhr at elidor.demon.co.uk