Vikram Seth - some problems

Jan.Dvorak at ff.cuni.cz Jan.Dvorak at ff.cuni.cz
Fri Sep 27 14:38:15 UTC 1996

I am posting a few more problems we've encountered while translating Vikram
Seth's A Suitable Boy (Phoenix House, London 1993):

1. kuchuk (p. 9 - last sentence of chapter 1.3): Lata answers to her
brother's daughter "Yes, kuchuk, of course, I'm sorry. [...] Come, let's
all go together and get some."

2. Maloos (p. 431 - one of the last paragraphs of the chapter 7.23):
Meenakshi answers to her mother-in-law: "Of course I can, Maloos dear, don't
be so old-fashioned."

3. order papers (p. 254 - middle of the chapter 5.7): in a Parliament:
"Several members of the House were on their feet, waving their order papers,
and no one, not even the Speaker, could be clearly heard."

In the first two cases I ask for both meaning and the original writing in
Hindi (Bengali) - use any transcription you want but specify which one it
is. In the second case we are not sure what the "order papers" are. Any
suggestions?

Thank you, Jan Dvorak <dvorakj at dec59.ruk.cuni.cz>