Sanskrit in scientific terminology

KJKARTTU KJKARTTU at Elo.Helsinki.fi
Wed Sep 25 14:11:05 UTC 1996

To indology at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Sanskrit in scientific terminology, reply to P. Kiparsky

For various reasons I have only just joined the Indology list, but by
kindness of colleagues I have obtained Kiparsky's question of 12th
September and Wyzlic's notes of 13th September have reached me. I hope
this answer will also reach Kiparsky.
Bollensen had moved to Kazan in 1852 and to Germany in 1858. Petrov
taught in Moscow. Minaev (1840-90) was still student in Germany and
started his teaching in St. Petersburg only in 1869. As was noted by
Wyzlic, Boehtlingk never lectured and Roth did not even live in Russia.
The man in charge of Sanskrit at the Oriental Faculty of St. Petersburg
University was Kaetan Andreevich Kossovich (1815-1883), known of an
unfinished Sanskrit-Russian dictionary (1854-56), of an edition of Old
Persian cuneiform inscriptions (1872), of several Avestic studies and
translations of Indian classics into Russian (parts of the Mbh and some
dramas). He started his Sanskrit teaching at the Oriental Faculty in
1858, became Professor in 1860, with chair in 1866. As far as I know he
was the only teacher of Sanskrit in St.Petersburg in the 1860s. More
about him can be found in JRAS 1883, p. xxiii-xxiv, in Biogr. slovar'
S.-Peterb. univ. 1, 1896, 346-354 and in Bongard-Levin & Vigasin, The
Image of India, Moscow 1984, 71-73. Further sources (not checked by me)
are M._O. Marks in Russk. Star. 52, 1886, 605-620; I._B. in Zhurnal Min.
Narodn. Prosv. 1883 March 226, 35-42, and A._Ja. Garkavi in Izv. Imp.
Arh. Obshch. 10, 433-487.
P.S. After writing this I saw a message with suggestion that Sanskrit
terms in question may have been learnt abroad. This is of course quite
possible, too.

Klaus Karttunen