scripts

Emil Hersak ehersak at public.srce.hr
Sat Sep 14 02:28:37 UTC 1996

Just a note. I was struggling with the notion of whether or not to respond
to all the debate on the use of language on this list. Finally, I couldn't
help myself. So let me just say that I FULLY SUPPORT all those who have
upheld the free use of French and other languages (i.e. languages other
than English) in discussion. Of course, I am not criticising English.
Personally, my English (Russian and Italian) is better than my French,
although I generally have no problem in understandering French, and I
welcome all efforts to maintain variety in the exchange of ideas. Language
is not just "purely a means of communication" as has been suggested, and
neither is French just a "national language".  However, I don't wish to
continue a polemic, that most probably will not produce results.

Sincerely,

Emil Hersak (ehersak at public.srce.hr)
Institute for Migration and Ethnic Studies
Zagreb (CROATIA)